Are you ready to RELATE?
RELATE is a simple, refreshing, and effective relationship repair program. Designed by a marital expert, RELATE helps couples to work together to create the relationship they’ve always wanted. When a couple is relating well together, they can thrive in the world far better than the two of them could have done on their own. The steps to relate better in this book can be worked on individually, with a coach or counselor, or completed as a couple.
Is RELATE for you?
A. The RELATE program is designed to aid a couple that is stressed, overloaded, bored, or otherwise desperate for more relationship satisfaction. This program focuses specifically on restoring lost feelings of love or respect for one another, on reminding a couple of their greater commitment to their spouses and families, and on building them up to be a solid team once again, or even for the first time.
B. The RELATE program can help even if just one member of a relationship wants to participate while the other is doubtful or uninterested in change. A willing mate can make a great change in a relationship by trying new steps respectfully. It is often the case that both spouses are committed to the relationship, but only one wants help. As most counselors know, when even one person makes healthy changes in a relationship, a family system often shifts in the right direction.
C. The RELATE program is NOT for the couple that is uncommitted or unwilling to take part in change. Examples of this are where one or both mates are in complete withdrawal from the relationship, when one mate is happily caught up in an affair, when an individual is in an abusive relationship, and in other extreme situations. In these instances, individuals and couples should pursue therapy or outside help more intensive and specifically tailored to their issues.
If you fit models A or B, then the good news is, RELATE can help you! Here are five tips to help you get the most out of this RELATE relationship training!
- Read the material carefully. This program is designed to be efficient, so simply skimming this book will leave a gap in your relationship repair.
- Do the assignments. They’re not complicated but they do take effort, like anything worth doing. Simply reading a book or attending a meeting to talk about what’s going on are not magical solutions. The key to success lies not only in your momentary participation, but also in your lasting efforts in working toward a healthier relationship.
- Don’t give up before the end! This is a short training program, so finish it fully. Do your best, and expect great results. Even if your mate isn’t dedicated, keep it up. You can’t lose when you are trying to love others well!
- Pay special attention to the heading “LOVE NOTES” that you find sprinkled throughout the book. These brief tips will help you to make sure you consider your mates’ feelings and express love toward them even when you don’t agree on everything.
- Expect success and have fun! Keep an attitude of hopefulness and celebrate even the smallest of positive changes! Soon, you will be celebrating a lifetime of love.